For us a day without creativity in whatever form it appears is a day without a smile. We love to paint. We paint to live.
Sharing our creativity we write, we demonstrate, we teach. Smile with us.
Welcome to Moor to Sea arts!
The first signs of autumn have arrived; there is a nip in the early morning air, more spider's webs in the garden and the blackberries are ripe. Our thoughts are turning to blackberry crumble and the start of a new term of art classes. Having spent many years in education this still feels like the beginning of a new year for Rob and Siân! We invite you to join us as we explore the artistic opportunities a new year brings!
LEARN WITH US
We enjoy teaching. It genuinely gives us great pleasure when we help people to achieve more than they had thought themselves capable of, and to share in their delight. Whatever you perceive your standard of painting to be, we are confident that we can help you to get more from your watercolour painting. Whether you are a complete beginner, looking to improve your skills or re-discover your confidence we aim to give you the resources you need.
If you need some inspiration, have you considered...
- A term of watercolour classes with us in Ivybridge or Kingsbridge. Classes can be a real incentive to try something new, or to find the courage to fulfil a longing to paint. We are now taking bookings for places for the Autumn term. For more information click here.
- One of our art courses at Flatford Mill or Slapton Ley. A short art break can be very inspiring! There are still a few places left for the autumn courses at Flatford Mill.
- An art holiday? There are plans afoot for Sian to head back to Mairena in Spain in 2019, with a few days spent in Granada and a visit to the Alhambra. For more information keep an eye on Spain 2019, or to register your interest in this holiday email Sian.
- An art book? As well as 'Painting Flowers, A Creative Approach', and 'Painting Rivers from Source to Sea', which we hope you will find incredibly inspiring, we have some excellent suggestions on our Books page.
- Watching art tuition videos? A selection of our videos are available to view on YouTube. To view our extensive collection of tuition videos take a look at ArtTutor.com, an excellent website dedicated to helping you improve your enjoyment and skills of your own artistic endeavours.
Our summer painting projects
This summer Rob and Siân have been busy painting for their forthcoming book, "Painting Trees', due for publication in the near future. More details, and a few images to tempt you, to follow soon!
Meanwhile they have both contributed to the September edition of the Artists and Illustrators magazine, in an article expounding the benefits of daily painting and how to make the most of a very short painting session.
TIP: Never say you don't have time to paint! Both of these images were produced in under one hour. Use the time to experiment, practice techniques, or to impose a time limit to prevent overworking.
An original painting can be a beautiful addition to your home; have a look through our galleries. Or for a very personal piece of artwork consider commissioning a painting, giving you opportunity to suggest the subject matter, and decide on your budget. If you like this idea and would like to discuss it, please contact us.
Painting Flowers - a creative approach
" Painting flowers is a joyful experience - to capture and celebrate the colour, form and beauty of flowers in watercolour is an endlessly exciting pursuit. This book encourages you to experiment and play when you paint, to enjoy the process of creating a painting, and to develop your own style as you observe and render either a single stem or a full floral abstract. By moving away from the tight constraints of botanical illustration, it encourages a looser style of floral painting that allows for a more personal and unique interpretation of the subject. Written by a much-respected artist and teacher, this beautiful book will inspire both those new to painting and those seeking a different approach. "
For more details and to buy click here.
Painting Rivers - from source to sea
'' Rivers can be enchanting or exciting, but are always absorbing. They provide a myriad of painting opportunities and challenges for the artist. Focussing on watercolour- one of the most direct of mediums- this practical book explains how to paint a river and capture its life, light, movement, colour and interest.
With over 200 images, Rob Dudley shares his methods, techniques, and ideas to make this beautiful book a must-have for all landscape and en plein air artists.
- He explains each stage of a painting: inspiration and focus, sketching and information gathering, planning and painting.
- Advises on how to paint water so that it captures the colour, shape and tone of light and reflections.
- Finished paintings, examples and step-by-step sequences are used throughout to support the detailed instruction.''
For more details and to buy click here.
Rob and Siân Dudley are popular and experienced artists, demonstrators, tutors and writers, with a passion for watercolour painting. They have been living, painting, teaching and exhibiting in Devon for over 20 years. are both enthusiastic in sharing their love of watercolours with others. As well as exhibiting and selling their work, they are qualified, experienced tutors and demonstrators, keen to share all the tips, tricks and techniques they know. Look out for their videos on ArtTutor.com and their articles in the Artists and Illustrators magazine.